Ask your machine tool supplier for a shared screen demonstration on the full functionality of a plasma cutting combination drilling machine with internationally recognised software to learn if the machines are truly compatible. If the software and controller are not compatible with other nesting and programming packages this may indicate the plasma cutting machine tool builder has a small software department that requires yearly maintenance and support costs to fund this department.
Alternatively, the international software suppliers do not find the machine tool builder relevant on the world market due to the limited amount of sales each year. For the software provider to share their intellectual property with a boutique machine tool builder, that has their own home brand controller and boutique software may provide intellectual property disputes. So for a few ‘potential’ software licenses sales a year, both sides continue the Mexican standoff where the end-user ultimately pays the price from not having flexibility and choice in the software that can drive these machines.
When a buyer is already running a laser cutting machine and they want to add to their fleet of machines and invest in a plasma cutting machine, their preference is to keep the same software working across both machines. This becomes considerably more difficult when the plasma cutting machine tool builder does not have the resources or motivation to work with any alternative software than their own home brand system. This means two sets of different software would be required to run the laser and plasma which is not the case when investing in machines from SMS.
Clients of SMS do not like being captured by any machine tool builder that has a boutique CNC controller and home brand software. Several clients of SMS were promised a plasma cutting machine tool builder. Software upgrades and orders were placed accordingly. The machine tool builder’s strategy was changed without fear or favour to their existing clients that had believed the rhetoric and are now paying the price of expensive software upgrades which has become the golden gift that keeps on giving to the machine tool builder.
RELATED CASE STUDIES & WHITE PAPERS
- Guaranteed ways to avoid buying the wrong plasma cutting machine with drilling and extra machining capacity.
- Best practices for attracting NEW customers to your laser cutting business.
- Clear and unbiased facts about a CNC controller for a plasma cutting machine with drilling and extra machining capacity.
- Avoid costly mistakes that affect bid/win drilling contracts and ROI.
- Best practices to ensure the plasma machine specification meet performance outcomes and provide a competitive advantage.
- Guaranteed ways to ensure your strategy to invest in a plasma machine will close the gap the investment was intended to meet.
- A guide to specifying the correct coolant delivery systems for a plasma cutting and drilling machine with extra machining capacity.
- Discover the secrets as to why the market is trending away from automatic percussion marking and moving back to paint marking.
- How to dominate your niche with the best quality, schedule and cost when deploying this coolant delivery system for drilling.
- Guaranteed no stress strategy for selecting plasma cutting nesting software.
- Your most burning questions answered about wet or dry plasma cutting table.
- You are not alone in specifying a CNC controller and PLC that has built-in redundancy.
- Secrets to increasing capacity and schedule to complete tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Avoid the deadly sins when using a boutique machine tool builders home brand nesting and programming software.
- Worth fighting for, a plasma cutting machine tool builder with cost-effective remote diagnostic support.